PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Any pilots left who *enjoy* this profession?
Old 5th May 2011, 23:45
McGowan

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
still happy in the seat

Just over 21 years with a licence and still enjoy the job. I have been lucky in the things I've done and the people I've met.
I have managed to try most things that can be done with a helicopter, from basic charter through to multi engine corporate. I've enjoyed doing stuff like frost prevention, media, fire work, EMS, instructing, joy flights, photography, GPS survey, lifting, power lines and other things that don't spring to mind. I've never done that much that I could call myself an expert, but enough to say I can do a reasonable job of it.
The work itself has all been satisfying from seeing someone solo for the first time (always a relief to me that they didn't just flip the aircraft arse over head on the first solo take off), to actually being involved in saving someones life. 98% of the people I've worked with are good fun and professional. They know when to work hard and when to have a beer and relax.
I've seen the industry change from the days when doing your Senior Commercial Licence (pre ATPLH) and having an instrument rating were a waste of time and money to now where if you don't have ATPLH and an instrument rating you won't get far. I've seen a sharp increase in corporate/private twins coming into the country, more and more new turbine helicopters, modern upto date aircraft being put on line with private owners. All good for pilots, and it will continue to grow and improve, also good for us.
The only down side of the jobs is the friends you loose. Unquestionably the worst part of the job. And it happens all too often.
Having said that, safety is improving swifty, not about time.