PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2011, 22:30
JD-EE

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR_NDB, to get a feel for how the shape of the debris field was created perform a simple experiment. Take a deep glass pan or casserole and fill it nearly to the top with water. Let the water sit long enough to become still.

While the water is settling wander out to your back yard or any other place you can scoop up maybe a tablespoon of dirt. When you get back into the house drop the dirt a very little bit at a time. You'll see that some of it, the finer particles, spread out very widely. Some of it, the sand, settles quickly mostly below where you dropped your sample. Given dirt you'll see roughly three bands with sand in the middle and really fine particles spread out.

This is a variant on the test for soil used when estimating water needs for growing trees or plants. In that case you take a tall jar of water, put in about a 1/2 cup of dirt, shake it vigorously, and let it settle. Heavy stuff settles first etc. It gives a fairly good, cheap, soil quality analysis.

I think this experiment will settle in your mind where most of the distribution of the wreck likely came from.