PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2011, 19:04
solrac

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
why is it wrong of me to ask how long a base outside of HK would take?

Is that not the purpose of the forums, to inquire on things we do not know about cx before accepting an offer. I now understand that it will take a decade at the minimum to get on a base in north america/europe. That will def. have a factor on my decision to get on with cx. I don't quite agree with this mentality that one should not look past at living in hk for the rest of your career. If cx is a means for you to be able to be part of a great career company and be able to live in your home base than for sure!! Why not stick it out in hk for 5 years or so. That would be great, and maybe that was the case before. However that does not seem to be the case now, and therefore im not interested...period. I'm sure most pilots before were planning on staying for as little time as they could in hk regardless of whatever housing allowance they got, assuming hk was not their home base of course.

Please try and understand that this is comming from someone who has time and would be doing the quick transition to SO. Also I say all of this in thinking that they will never bring back the deso or defo. They will always find a way to find cadets, they will lower their acceptace standards before they will increase TC'S. This is how airlines operate and I find through my experience that management can be very vindictive. Before they will show you that they are wrong they will lower whatever standards that can to prove their point. If they arent getting enough cadets now it is simply because they haven passed their standards. They will find a way, and lowering acceptance standards will be the first. Most of you will say, im wrong due to the fact that have added this HKPA which was a result of nobody accepting their offer, and maybe if this continues they will add another 10,000, and thats always better, but that will most likely be it , if that.

My advice would be to take the current offer if you are truly ok with living in hk for the rest of your career. The offer wont get much better.
It's actually an amazing opportunity IMHO if you're in your ealry 20's. Sure it might be tough making ends meet with the cost of living, and perhaps that is how you'll gain your life experience, and again IMO that's better than flying experience.
It will get better as you put your time in. As someone said on a previous post, you may even be surprised.
Hope for the best, but expect the worst!

my two cents anyways,

its a sad thing

Another question! are waiting times for fo basing the same on the freighter? or is all the same.

thanx again