PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2011, 17:22
HazelNuts39

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by takata
I'm 95% sure that there was no direct stall down from 35,000 fts and that she was not crashed at the end of the ACARS sequence.

Can someone explain how an aircraft may stall during five minutes from altitude without, at some early point, its engine stalling as well?
I still think that there is a very high probability that the impact occurred within a minute after the last ACARS transmission. I'm keeping an open mind as to if, when, and for how long the airplane was stalled, and what type of stall developed.

The engines don't normally stall when the airplane stalls. The engines may stall or surge when the intake is exposed to extreme angles of attack or sideslip. The airplane in cruise configuration stalls at an angle of attack that varies between 14 - 15 degrees at low altitude, and 6 - 7 degrees at high altitude. I wouldn't expect the engines to stall at angles below 30 - 35 degrees, depending somewhat on power setting. And if they stall, they don't usually flame out immediately, more likely they will surge and overtemperature.

Last edited by Jetdriver; 5th May 2011 at 21:24.