PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 5th May 2011, 16:35
RetiredF4

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
takata
Can someone explain how an aircraft may stall during five minutes from altitude without, at some early point, its engine stalling as well?
I´m not familiar with fan engines and their stall prevention capapilities, however a few thoughts from my side.

On ground testing there is no airflow at all to the engine except the flow caused by the suction of the engine, and it works anyway. So if the engine stayed alive in the beginning of the upset, could it then continue running (even in a kind of reduced performance) during the ongoing stall? Would it make any difference, wether the engines operated in a rather low powersetting at the beginning of the upset?

The engine i´m familiar with from the F-4, the J79 could stall pretty hard and flame out as well in high angle of attack situations near slow-speed or accelerated stall conditions. I expierienced a lot of those. However, that happened almost certainly when changing power setting under such extreme conditions and rarely when the throttles been kept alone, regardless of powersetting.