PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Police to work with plane spotters to prevent Gatwick terror attack :)
Old 5th May 2011, 10:35
Skipness One Echo

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This sort of co-operation has been going on at Luton for some time although sometimes members of Her Majesty's Bedfordshire Constabulary have never heard of it!
These things fail utterly in the real world. I was "detained" by 7 a squad of Plod on their way into Paisley near Glasgow Airport. My crime was to be photographing an aircraft in full view of the road in a spot where Airfield Ops can see you and the perimeter Police patrol can see you quite happily. They occasionally wave and smile as they know the score and know the area.

Enter SIX bored Paisley Policemen in a minibus coming back from a shout and they don't like the look of what's going on..... Three slept in the bus while one stood gaurd over me, the leader made many radio calls out of earshot and the woman just needled me to try and wind me up in a a faux mocking manner. I was "detained" for thirty minutes ( I checked ) while the leader, a PC mind, made sure I wasn't wanted then set out to find a reason, any reason to move me on. Some of the locals came over and expressed utter astonishment at what these guys had done. Utter overkill.

I reiterate the Airport Police are much more sensible but some of the local kids in uniform are beyond the pale. One of the issues with an oocasionally crushingly dull job is they decide to go and find someone to Police.