PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CPL/MEIR in NZ £12,700 too good to be true?
Old 28th Feb 2001, 14:34
The flying gunman

BEWARE!!
foreign ICAO IR is worth nothing in JAA now.As of 30/01/2001 the holder of an icao IR must conduct a FULL course of approved IR training and the test to be issued with a JAA IR.The only exemptionis if you have something like 3000hrs 500 on jets.
This is absolutely disgusting..there was no warning from the CAA/JAA that this was going to happen. I almost gave up my job and went to South Africa for 7 months to do my ME/IR which would have been worth nothing here. I feel very sorry for the people who are doing this at the moment.If not a criminal deception by the CAA then surley a moral one. I thought a lot of these people were aviators..I can think of plenty of other names for them at present.
While I am in full flow....Beware the 12 hrs credit for the JAA IR if you hold an IMC.This only applies if you hold a UK/CAA PPL not a JAA PPL when the IMC counts for no credit!(Good prep though).Again this is something that the CAA do not make clear. If i may be permitted to qoute Clive Hughes it appears that the British pilot is being legislated out of the market and the only way to acheive is wealth not talent!!.Here endeth the lesson
.PS you also have to pass all the JAA theory exams as well before your IR
------------------
He who smiles when the sh** hits the fan has found someone else to blame!

[This message has been edited by The flying gunman (edited 28 February 2001).]