PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barely controllable Tu-154 - another UA232
Old 4th May 2011, 22:29
FlyingStarts

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
@ Locked door, Post 83

"Interesting how one of the spectators shouts 'yes' in English!"

The exclamation (mine too) after watching all that flying on the ragged edge of departing- and then seeing that safe landing for the first time in the footage above was just the same, in empathy and admiration for that crew:

"Eсть!!"

It's not English, but deeply Russian. Eсть (yest) means "Roger", "Yes Sir" and, in situations like this- it also may be translated as "F*** Yeah!!!"

Literally, it means "It is" or "So it is", but as an interjection there are many nuances of context- emotional, military, naval, and aeronautical. Coincidentally, there is a homonym "eсть" (meaning to eat).

"Anyone able to translate the rest?"

As the 154 was short final, I understood wonder/despair at how she could be landed with such yawing. "давай" (davai) means "come on!" I'm a very rusty non-native Russian speaker, and I'm sure that better translations than I can give are available from fluent Russian linguists here.

Great footage, excellent flying with obviously severe uncommanded flight control deflections (reversed persistent yaw damper or coordination logic?) and a fascinating/harrowing spectacle. Truly an amazing display of airmanship. IMO/BTW any good airplane should be able to be yawed this assertively without the vertical stabilizer failing (Airbus should take note).

Never give up, and always fly the airplane until full stop.

Positive flight control checks before any test flight might be another moral of this story.

Last edited by FlyingStarts; 4th May 2011 at 23:46.