PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Advice Gratefully appreciated
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2002, 15:37
Johnny 7

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Agree with MJR - but it also depends on your domestic circumstances . If you are in need of a regular income to support wife , kids , mortgage etc. then you must have a different perspective on the situation . Yes the market is depressed at the moment & is likely to get worse in the event of action in the Gulf , but it was worse than this in the early 90's & the market rebounded after a couple of years .

Look at the costs of your training as an investment that may take a little longer to mature than you first imagined - if the job offer you have is well paid & easy to leave in the event of an upturn in the aviation market then why not take it up ? Almost any experience is useful for an aviation career regardless of whether it's aviation related . I hold an ATPL with about 5000 hrs , made redundant about 2 years ago & still unable to find work in the industry - but then I have all the trappings of domestic bliss , accumulated when times were good , & so am trying ( perhaps somewhat foolishly ) to restart where I left off . It would be very good to be flying again and I'm hopeful that eventually this will happen .

Most importantly , try to keep as current as you can .