PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First big milestone: first solo and written out of the way (!)
Old 4th May 2011, 10:43
moreflaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I once took a long x-country with an instructor who "relaxed" with his feet on the pedals. From time to time he would shift in his seat by pressing against the rudder pedals. When I asked him for the second time to take his feet off the pedals he apologized and said he did not know he was doing it... I said, "when I'm flying the plane check you feet are flat on the floor as mine are when you are flying the plane -rudder pedals are not footrests". That seemed to solve the problem.

You could try saying,"It has been suggested to me that in a non-emergency that your desire to manipulate the controls should be indicated by saying "I have control" and as soon as I've take my hands and feet off I will say "You have control". When you pass control to me you say "you have control" and when I have put my feet and hands are on the controls I will say "I have control" and you then take your feet and hands off the controls. Is that correct? "

Then if he doesn't take his feet off repeat "I have control" and then if no joy "I said I have control, why are you not taking you feet off? This could work as it appeals to professional cockpit communications and reminds him what he is supposed to be doing.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Last edited by moreflaps; 4th May 2011 at 11:04.