PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Anyone interested in the Profession anymore?
Old 4th May 2011, 10:02
FAStoat

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I am afraid you are all correct!!!It makes me very angry,when Headmasters of State Schools seem to have salaries over £150,000,and even Tube Drivers have salaries over £60,000,with gold plated pensions to go with it,and generally Civil Servants under the Blair/Brown regime simply ran over the rest of us,who had their Pensions eroded,or changed to Money Purchase,and Salaries with no increments or 1-2% because the Airlines were in hard times.If we went on strike,or even complained the P45 and the door was the only response from management,or a quick sim check and a black on your 206.The current ATPL First Officer has or his parents have,paid the best part of £60,000 for an equivalent Degree Course,to be paid in washers,and some nearly have to work for free!!This is one of the few professions where you are Line Checked and Sim checked every 6 months,with the job on the line,because you are told there are masses who want your job,so you had better be good,and then medically checked to make sure you have not cracked up!!!!!!:I used to have a 10 days on with maybe 5 off roster,living in ever decreasing standards of Hotel,trying to sleep during the day in parts of the world with high humidity,and temperatures with loud wurlitzers that may or may not work properly.Then after a full work period to fly or position back to UK and then drive home in a state of exhaustion,to have to do it all over again in a few days time.It used to be the best job in the world,but now I just wonder and thank God my Kids are not interested.Even if you survive to retirement,and many of my friends and colleagues have not even made my age,then the Aviation Induced Divorce Syndrome can hit you,because you have been away so much and the Kids have run riot!!The Mortgage has to be paid and life has to go on,but is Aviation now worth it??