PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Crash-Cork Airport
View Single Post
Old 4th May 2011, 07:54
Admiral346

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
This to my mind doesn't make any sense.
It does to me.
It is a textbook CRM syndrome. "I can do it, while noone else can", "I have superior flying skills" and so on is a clear showing of overconfidence in oneself. If thoughts like this cross your mind (if they haven't yet, they sure will some day), take a step back, better two, and face the reality that you are nobody special, just a pilot, a human with all the psychological and physiological deficiancies inherent to us all.
That this tragic pilot commented on himself to having been able to fly this approach shows over-selfconfidence and also prooves the practice of busting minima "I know how to do it safely!".
It cannot be done safely, by noone, by no check test shuttle pilot, because minima themselves contain the definition of safety. It is safe to descend to minima, it is therefore unsafe to continue below without seeing the RWY or ALS.
I am saddened that he took his life, but I am also certain that depression had it's claws on him and took him, just as thousands are taken by this terrible illness that is still tabooed, especially in our profession. It can be treated, it doesn't have to take away family and friends, as it has for me.