PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Touring Ireland VFR
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2002, 14:23
david viewing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VFR touring in Ireland is a good plan at any time of the year but in November you can be sure to have adverse weather so have plenty of spare days! On the west coast the weather changes almost hourly!

There are numerous airfields and strips. The best reference is "Fly in Ireland", a Pooley style booklet that you can get from Transair etc. There is also an Irish Aviation web site at http://www.irishaviation.net/contents.htm
with a useful map and much else. But take care - it still lists Castlebar, which closed at least a year ago.

BTW, most Irish airfields are PPR. All except EIDW are friendly and welcoming, and if going to Dublin go to Weston instead. There's an excellent AIC 10/02 on Weston at http://www.iaa.ie (you will need to register).

On the West coast, Sligo, Galway and Kerry are commercial but welcoming airports, and there are many strips as well. Strip owners are (In my experience) always friendly and accomodating. Best quality of service overall is perhaps Waterford, but I've never had UK style hassle at any Irish airport.

Suggest you look at Achill Island (highest sea cliffs in Europe), the cliffs of Moher, the Aran Islands (which have runways), Clifden (Where Alcock & Brown landed) Dingle Bay (Where Lindburgh made land) and the ring of Kerry round to Cork, but only on a good day!

I've never used hangarage and don't know.

You need Special Branch 24Hrs (actually I think 12Hrs) prior permission for any trip to Ireland N or S and Isle of Man for that matter if you are departing a non special branch airfield. I don't know if Islay can provide this outbound so do ask them. You could route Eglinton (very friendly with special branch on site, but do check in advance) then donegal. (You need special branch for trips N to S or vice versa in Ireland as well). Also flight plans are required. Flight plans are also required at bigger Irish airports like Shannon but can be filed in the air.

When returning UK, you need special branch and customs (customs only work weekdays) prior notifaction/permission if arriving at non-approved airport.

It's a fabulous place to fly. Hope this helps.