PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - confused, any stapleford students?
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2002, 12:01
G SXTY

Supercharged PPRuNer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Lightbulb

I’m not surprised, and I don’t think it’s a bad idea. My 1st solo was on 04L, and I bounced and went around 3 times. Count them. I landed OK off the 4th approach, but the whole experience was a little more ‘exciting’ than I’d have liked – not to mention my poor instructor!

04L is still my bogey runway – it has quite a steep downslope, so you need to nail the approach speed. A few knots too fast over the numbers, and it’ll happily float half way to North Weald. The temptation is then to push forward and plant it, with predictable results. There can also be some turbulence over the trees, which you won’t get on 22L, so all in all it can be a bit of a challenge.

As already said, it’s no problem at all for more experienced pilots, but you’ve got your hands full enough on 1st solo, without having to worry if you can get it down again.

(And don’t think it’s any comment on you – I had to change from 04L to 28 a couple of weeks back, and that was with over 40 hours, on the way back from a 170 mile QXC.) :o