PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - What to do while looking for that first job?
Old 25th Sep 2002, 11:52
starship

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Bluecross,

I am in your position and have worked a variety of positions in the business.

People may say that it will just fill in a gap and earn you some money. I see other advantages, and they have paid off for me in varying ways.

If you become an FA, you will gain a knowledge of how an airline actually works which others will not have in your position. You will benefit from working an airline style roster, learning Safety and Emergency Procedures (SEP) and First Aid. All things which are required of pilots too. Yes, SEP varies with the likes of drills from one airline to another, however the end result - safety - is the same and hence knowledge transferrable.

Working despatch will give a good insight into ground operations as you will be responsible for organising and running the turnaround of an aircraft, trained in weight and balance, and see the time precious element of an airline operation.

Whichever you choose, these are two very rewarding jobs which you will no doubt look at as good supporting knowledge to any form of pilot career. I have done both, and am happy I did. In addition, you will have the opportunity to meet experienced pilots who will be only too happy to share their knowledge of what is going on in your area re. flying with you.

At the end of the day, a flying job would be the best thing - your hours would be building and you will be more current. If you are unable to secure a flying job, stay current by using your pay you earn working IN the industry.

Work hard, it will pay off - above all - ENJOY.

cheers

starship