PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2011, 01:00
bearfoil

chrisN

Howdy. Lomapaseo's proposed g values are astronomic, and frankly, it is hard to disagree with him. I have offered my experience of dealing with similar structures in falls and warehouse damage that exhibited far more damage than the Galley stack, and some other recovered bits. It is a monstrous disconnect, one I cannot get my arms around, at all. If she hit tail on, in a flat aspect, the cockpit became the crack on the whip, perhaps even accelerating as the tail stopped. The forward part of the a/c hit with certainly the same velocity as the tail, if not more. The crew rest, in the hold, suffered a severe display of flattening, not just from stopping on the hold floor, (and the sea's surface), but then suffering the collapse of two more diaphragms on top, the cabin floor, and the dorsal skin of the fuse.

Initially, I thought a hull rupture at altitude had allowed some contents to spill out, which would have had a far less emphatic impact with the sea, being in free fall, etc. I don't think that is wrong, but I continually adjust the altitude at which the contents separated from the a/c. Beyond the impact, the potential damage to be done as the a/c spreads out in a surface field on a stormy sea, and the potential for damage beyond that which pieces may have endured on impact, the galley cabinet with its intact food boxes is either a miracle or a hint at separation from the hull prior to impact. In any case, if photos of the cockpit are allowed, the disconnect will be affirmed as other than simultaneous and co-located sea entry, imo.