PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 3rd May 2011, 00:54
lomapaseo

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
ChrisN

How can 100-200g relate to the relatively undamaged galley unit (sorry I forget the correct name but I’m sure the experts know what I mean)?
Are you talking about decell rates?? and where did they come from??

With a car, your bumper, grill and fenders do a great job of taking an instantaneous high G load and spread it over a couple of seconds before you feel it. In that period of time much energy is being absorbed to lessen the load on your innards.

OTOH if you manage to get a uncrushable object like an engine block between you and the immovable brick wall your G loads are gonna be a lot higher.

Many of the box structures a couple of feet above the airplane keel beam are not gonna feel the same load as the belly structure simply due to the crushing and speading out in area of the load as well as in time.

All I'm doing in this explanation is explaining why your eye sees things the way they are in a photo.

In real life I've seen occupants that have survived sitting within feet of those that haven't all due to variances in G load and their relative nearness to an unbuckled part of the airframe in a given accident.