PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - 4 seater emergency landing on dual carriageway
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:37
Conventional Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Not having done a forced landing in anger one rather hopes that much like the first solo the training was adequate and it kicks in, the plane doesn't know it's not landing on an airfield.

I wonder if some of the current TV shows with bush pilots doing their stuff will spawn more landings on highways? Who knows. I do know that when doing a PFL I once chose the most unsuitable field out of dozens. Why? Because it was the one that 'looked' most like an airfield. Weird ****, glad it happened during a practice run not the real deal and I learnt form it. I don't see any armchair pilots here, just real pilots discussing and learning from this event.

Could just be that a tarmac highway might have the same effect as the field that 'looked' like an airfield had on me. I chose it because it was 'comfortable'. It however clearly wasn't the best choice available and my instructor made a point of making this clear to me and my error.

End of the day, this pilot was PIC, he made his call, did a good job well done to him. Doesn't mean however that people shouldn't discuss the scenario, who knows it might save someones neck one day.