PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas and Its Appalling Brand Management
Old 2nd May 2011, 23:09
Captain Sherm

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
All good points Sunfish and I am sure (and as a shareholder I certainly hope) that these thoughts will be on the Board's minds as they ponder the future.

But not that many years back that same Board had to confront a world where deregulation was well under way, and there was the potential for the double whammy of rapid growth accompanied by rapid yield reductions. Impulse presented an ideal opportunity and the Board would have been derelict to overlook the opportunity. This is a fact and they did the right thing to protect mainline yields, however imperfect the execution, however much collateral damage has come from an ideological bias and from groups like AIPA failing to see the new future and embrace the Impulse pilots.

The job is only half done however as we can all see....having a fleet mix that is truly horrific, having a management structure that has to administer way too many contracts, brand names, EBAs and transfer prices, having embedded a truly cruel "us vs them" industrial relations strategy.....these need to be on the table too. Even if JQ were parcelled up and sold tomorrow, and that done in a way that did continue to protect mainline yields, these other problems would remain.

I wish them all well....this is too big a set of issues not to address and slogans/hates/ideology/mantras/amateurism/hubris/negligence/ignorance should have no place in the solution paradigms.