PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - New International Flying school planned in Gisborne NZ
Old 2nd May 2011, 22:04
slackie

Location: Live in Taupiri, Waikato, work in the big smoke, New Zealand
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
And I've read more of the above...

"Gisborne has a 24 hour airport" - what does this mean? There isn't ATC in attendance for 24 hours! If this is the criteria then the only "24 hour airports" in NZ are AA WN and CH. If it is that the airport is available 24 hours then most other airports with runway lights also fall into this category.

Me thinks Mr Todd "(himself a pilot!)" hasn't done his sums, and doesn't understand enough about the industry and the effects of introducing a large training establishment to an aerodrome.

If there were to be a large increase in movements at Gisborne, then the tower would require extra staff... controllers (contrary to popular belief) don't sprout out of the ground like mushrooms, and also (believe it or not) cost extra $$$. The lead time to recruit and train the extra staff (if you could attract them to GS) is over a year, and in the mean time I guarantee that his pilots would be waiting over the 10-15mins he quotes!

The question of IFR training has also (quite rightly) been raised. I believe the local "round the traps" IFR training route in the area also takes in Napier, again a solo watch procedural approach tower with the same restrictions that procedural control brings. Terrain is also an issue in the area with relatively high MSAs that would not cope with numerous light twins and (or worse!) singles battling to complete their sortes.

I watch with interest!