PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Skin Thing.....
Thread: Skin Thing.....
View Single Post
Old 25th Sep 2002, 10:52
Hingeless Rotor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry Skin Thing.....

Hi Guys,

Over a period of about 4 months I had been watching a small pink circle of skin up high on my chest.
Now this little patch of skin was not in any way nasty looking etc, in fact, you couldn’t see it half the time. But last month, on a tour overseas, I got the usual sunburn on the front collar area where my shirt buttons up, and the little circle of skin went pinker in color compared to the rest of the area. While back home, I was in the doctor’s with my wife getting a check up (first child), I got the doc to have a quick look at the thing just for the hell of it. Well ****** me........it was a skin cancer. A multi-focal, something or other, Basal Cell Carcinoma, or some crap like that. Either way it was attached to the ‘cancer’ word.

For someone who thought that it only happened to others, and only being 30, it was a hell of a shock. The doctor said “welcome to the club”. It didn’t make me feel any better. He knew I was a helicopter pilot and said that we were in the highest risk group. I did actually know that, but when you go under the knife in order to rid yourself of a skin cancer, it takes on a whole new meaning.

I am trying to find out two things.

1. Have many others out there had a confirmed skin cancer? And is it as common as they say?
2. Is the Perspex used in helicopter’s UV protective. I have always been under the impression that it is but I would like some confirmation if any one knows for sure.

Anyway, I also thought that it would be a good time to mention it to others, I guess as the old saying goes, if it saves one life then it’s worth it. Use sunscreen!

By the way, I got the mongrel chopped out and they said that it was completely removed. Once bitten, twice shy though.....................

Cheers.