PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Virgin recruiting soon...
View Single Post
Old 2nd May 2011, 18:25
PtP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why?

X-entric... let me put you back on the correct heading... you are wrong on many points.. firstly vs only tried to get rid of the classic pilots as there wasn't a lifo agreement in place at the time.. FACT. They are a business at the end of the day and were doing what any employer facing financial difficulties would have done.. And dont give me all that carp about loyalty.. im sure you would do whats best for yourself and your family at the drop of a hat facing a similar situation. I had only been with the company 5 months at that time completed my line training on 9/11.. the company owed me nothing as i was still under my probationary contract.. I could have been dismissed with a weeks notice.. Instead Virgin not only paid me 3 months wages but also gave me an extra months as well!! I eventually left 6 months later, 2 weeks after i left they offered me job back and said i could keep the money... I started back eventually 4 months later on the same pay scale and t's and c's i'd left on!! Doesn't sound like the company your talking about!! I also decided to take voluntary severance 18 months ago and have been interviewed for a position. Now this is the thing... I contacted my old boss in January asking if they were looking for any pilots on the 400.. not at the mo was his response but i'll keep you in mind.... he eventually called in late March to see what i was up to and if i was still looking for a Job... He knew i was type rated and current and had 7 unblemished previous years with the company... I have had to go thru the whole application process... I find it very hard to believe that they were emailing you asking you to apply especially when as you say you still worked for Ryanair and didn't have a 400 rating... hmmm they must have gone mad and decided to spend money on training all of a sudden!

Virgin have employed pilots from many different aviation backgrounds.. both military and civilian.. many pilots are from Ryanair so I dont know what you are talking about??? I joined them in 2001 from BMI with a little over 1000 jet hours on the 737!!! No Sim ride required which is more than i can say for many other airlines who charge for the pleasure!! I can only assume they ignored your application as you probably came across as a little Xcentric

The management at Virgin are no worse or better than any other Airline... I cannot speak of whats happened over the past 2 years but i do know that they tried to mitigate every last redundancy and tried to help as many people as possible get alternative employment!!! Don't get me wrong a lot has changed over the past few years at vs and the situation has got tougher... but times are lean many businesses are cutting costs and having to become leaner to be able to get thru the current financial crisis that we are all facing.. the days of a Job for life are gone and its down to every individual to make sure you are prepared for the worse at any point in time. Don't rest on your Laurels... you could be next.. we are all walking on thin ice at the minute.. and I don't see it getting any thicker for many years to come!

Glad you finally got to fly the 400 and i'm sure you'll be very happy but don't go slating other airlines and other peoples employers unless you have all the facts!! And as far as BA goes ... Well each to their own!! Good Luck!!

PtP