PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Barely controllable Tu-154 - another UA232
Old 2nd May 2011, 10:05
SincoTC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
That certainly looks very hairy and congratulations to the crew for their airmanship!

There used to be an Italian AF Captain (solo from the Frecce Tricolori I think), who performed a similar, madly gyrating circuit, finals and flare at really extreme pitch and yaw angles, which were only slightly moderated after landing on one mainwheel and then hopping to the other one, nearly scraping the tip-tanks in the process, but I doubt anyone would be daft enough to try that in a large airliner, even for a viral video!!

The only concern I have about these videos!

Plus footage of this miracle landing would have made the news and yet it isn't mentioned
It certainly would!! However, it seems that despite apparently having quite a bit of time (when one considers the fly-through and long distance shots), the person taking the video didn't seem to make any attempt to get to a more suitable viewpoint to record what must have seemed like the inevitable fireball!! Given the likely "value" of that video on the World market, why didn't he get to the other side of the trees??

That point, along with why did he initially film what must have been a routine take-off, as it was hardly an ideal viewpoint for that kind of shot and surely this must be a regular occurrence to the point of boredom at such a location!

Maybe they heard something unusual in the T/O run that caught their attention and possibly, if they were military personnel under strict control about where they can and cant go, he could only do the best from where he was!