PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Flight deck positions at FlyDubai Master Thread - Merged
Old 2nd May 2011, 06:20
RandyBMC

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
To answer you dubaigong, I have been in aviation for a shade over twenty years, but I know that is relatively short in comparison to some.

From the experience I do have though, I know what cost pilots that are unhappy can have.

It is fine if you are making money hand over fist as an airline to take the hit that low morale will most definitely cause. It is another all together if you are a start-up trying to squeak every dirham out in order to break even.

The "free" money that can be had well outweighs the cost to keep your employees happy. That goes for just about any business, but is especially applicable to the pilot group. Fuel costs, on time performance, diversion decisions - these are all high cost decisions that you want your pilots making being on the side of the company, not against.

I have watched pilot morale decline to the lowest depths at a previous company, and I watched the cost to the company that had. There is a chance with this company, even with mistakes that have been made, to do the right thing. It works incredibly well - I've seen that too.

There have been numerous comparisons to Southwest here at flydubai. The biggest mantra of Herb was take care of your employees first, customers second, and stock holders last. The lesson there is take care of your employees and the rest will follow. It is a shame so many companies in and out of aviation have lost that ideal. It is simple and effective, and costs more to avoid than to embrace. Maybe the world economy wouldn't be suffering so badly if this were not pulled from the boardroom decisions.

Again, just my thoughts, and maybe I am naive. I know that it has worked at many businesses, including the one I ran.

Randy