PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 20:36
Nick L

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
RR_NDB,
That was the data sheet I was referring to. On Figure 1, the annotated drawing shows "ED-55/56a Crash Survivable Memory Unit (CSMU) (1X or 2X model)". That indicates to me that the CSMU depicted in that drawing is representative only of a 1X or 2X model SSFDR.

If we go to Section 8.0, we see that they have described the "4X" model SSFDR, with part numbers 980-4700-04X. This is presumably a newer model of SSFDR than what is shown in the diagram. According to the BEA reports, this is the type of SSFDR that was aboard F-GZCP. It is possible that the Honeywell data sheet is not fully up to date (it is dated March 2000) as there are no diagrams for the "4X" SSFDR.

If we take a look at the Brazilian authorities' report into the Gol 1907/N600XL collision here:
http://www.ntsb.gov/Aviation/Brazil-...sh_version.pdf

(I know I keep harping on about the Gol mid-air collision, but it was the most recent accident for which I knew what the FDR looked like)

In section 3.11, "Flight Recorders", on pages 62 and 63, we see in Table 14 that both PR-GTD and N600XL were equipped with the same, Honeywell model 980-4700-042, recorders as F-GZCP. The photos of the SSFDRs (Figures 16 and 17) from both aircraft show cylindrical CSMUs, which match what the BEA recovered.

Last edited by Nick L; 1st May 2011 at 20:47.