PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Will I ever get a break?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 18:55
selim

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My view is that:
1. If you are passionate about flying, a recession is not going to stop you undertaking commercial training. Yes we are in the worst commercial conditions in our lifetime but studying during a recession may not be the worst decision anyone has ever made. After all if there are no jobs around and no money to be made perhaps training is the best thing to be doing for when things do pick up?

2. If you do decide to jump in the deep end and obtain your fATPL now be under no illusion that there are several thousand pilots with jet time ahead of the queue so you will have a significant wait before you with your low time logbook gets a look in

3. If you know someone with connections to an airline you jump the queue and have nothing to worry about if you are personable and can pass a simcheck

4. Lots of unemployed pilots on here will try their very best to put of wannabe pilots as the fewer there are on the market the better their chances of getting a job

5. Lots of honest people on here trying to put wannabe pilots off because the aviation world is dire at present

6. Do we really believe conditions for pilots will ever get better? I do not, I believe they will get worse jobs abound or otherwise, this industry has changed for good and those days of left seating a 707 on whopping salaries and perks are gone forever so accept that you can get paid twice as much driving a train than you can driving a plane and do it only because you are passionate about flying not because you want to be well paid and live a glamourous lifestyle, those days are gone for good

In essence, in my opinion you should learn to fly commercially if you really do get excited every time you line up for take off. If you think it would simply be cool to be a pilot and pull a few girls forget it, go get a job that has prospects and impress them with your fat wallet

All of my comments are purely my personal opinion and I must point out I am not in the commercial pilot job market although i do have all the relevant qualifications to allow me to comment fairly