PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 17:17
ChinaBeached

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
It is not the time as SO. Those of us who did interview for the job "back then" have the hours to back it all up if need be. When I interviewed we were well aware of potential SO time. Look at past and present QF or ANZ SO time.... QF SO's are expecting 3-5 years and ANZ guys have done > 7 years not long ago. Have even heard of 11 years. (Not sure how true).

Time as SO on a P2X rating, the iCadet lack of experience, the bond (sorry! "forgivable loan") and the inability of those iCadets to hence leave until at very least 500 - 1000 hrs on [a] type, as well as the required "total time" of most airlines min entry levels leaves you in chains for far longer than 6 years. Management know it, they literally bank on it, but these kids choose not to see it.

Plain & simple it's the package. I have done the maths in every possible way, including offshore accounts, shelf companies, etc to make it work. I wanted CX and tried to find a way. The cold hard facts are that I WILL NOT be able to comfortably retire. The pilots and crew cannot trust management to honour a contract. To own my own property is not unachievable but a very distant goal: up to 15-20 years of strict (very strict) saving because initially as SO I won't be able to. Add any possibility of wife, kids, education, associated costs....? No. It can't be done on this salary in HK & the costs of living.

It's never been the seat I sit in or the bars on the shoulders to parade about the mirror in. It's about a CAREER that leaves me able to show a responsibility to a hopeful family & eventual retirement. This package CANNOT offer that.

There is no such thing as a free meal, unless you're in CX management receiving the MASSIVE bonuses as a result of this C-scale. Some of you claim it's easy to sit back as an employed pilot & judge. Yeah.... As Samuel Goldwyn said, "The harder I work the luckier I get."

Last edited by ChinaBeached; 2nd May 2011 at 06:49.