PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - First take off and landing!
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 16:53
IanPZ

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thanks riverrock, and hope you get your solo soon.

I understand what you and Jan are talking about. My instructor was very complementary about my landing, and did say that he did pretty much nothing. I think he has the measure of me, and in truth, I'd rather he makes a dismissive joke about it being a fluke, rather than set up any expectation that I would be able to do that every time at the beginning.

I've noticed that once I stop trying to work things out, and just "do stuff" then it works much better, as has my instructor.

The remarkable thing is that what I thought I would be freaked by, which was the distance from the ground, didn't bother me so much. However, there was so much going on that I started making basic mistakes like increasing throttle on final when I meant to decrease. All the same, I did manage to compensate very quickly, and all went well.

I was meant to have a lesson today, but weather would have been no use, as you say.

I feel really pleased that I've got to this point already. I can't quite believe that whilst landing was a huge challenge, just flying has become so much easier already!

Now looking forward to next sunday, and my next attempt at controlled crashing (oops, I mean landing :-) )