PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AgustaWestland TRTO Suspended?
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 10:46
Non-PC Plod

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Heliski,

If you leave the MCC training to the operator, assuming you have a check ride afterwards to validate that the training has worked, you might call that a multi-pilot check ride or LST, which is pretty well the way it works. If there is no check ride, the training could be a load of cack, and the crew unsafe to work in that environment.
A large part of the problem which I have come up against in the environment where I work is the following mentality:

" If you teach people to fly the aircraft single-pilot, flying single pilot is harder than flying multi-crew, therefore the single-pilot training is more than sufficient to fulfil the requirement for any type of operation."

People who are not familiar with multi-crew operations do not realise that this is total b******s. There is a different mindset and a different skill set required. If you chuck 2 pilots in a complex aircraft who have only ever worked alone and do not have a common understanding of an SOP, and then you give them a complex job to do, you can light the blue touch-paper and wait. It is more dangerous by far than just having one guy up front. It can be the opposite of synergy, and it is so clear and apparent when you watch it in the simulator that it is an accident waiting to happen. I have seen people who are perfectly competent to operate single pilot completely screw up relatively simple operations (especially IFR) when you put them in a multi-crew environment. This is simply because one guy will do something such as entering data in the FMS without communicating what he has done to the other guy. Each one makes his own assumptions based on his own understanding of the situation, and you can end up very quickly with bewilderment or arguments in the cockpit.

It is perfectly appropriate to mandate multi-crew training and testing for crews involved in these operations. You only have to look at recent helicopter accidents where crew training may have ben a factor to see why.