PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Off airfield/runway ops
View Single Post
Old 1st May 2011, 06:53
Stuffed

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
VH_XXX - 'No dramas in stress of weather, particularly under RAA. It happens all the time. Just make sure you are polite to the farmer when he tries to shoot you for trespassing. It is usually quite a thrill for the locals when a plane unexpectedly lands on their property and they will bend over backwards to help you. Landing on a road is a different story and depending on who sees you, might result in some paperwork, but I cant see you getting in any trouble if weather forced you there. Usually the local copper goes into crisis help mode and blocks off the road for 2 km to see that you depart safely. Watch out for power lines'.

Did it up in the NT on the Stuart hwy when I was given some very bad telephone advice about the state of the runway at the rear of a roadhouse by an employee. I was basically asked why I did it and they accepted it at face value.

The location I choose gave me a clear line of sight for several kilometers in both directions that was clear of obstructions. I was made to wait by the locals plod till dawn where they blocked the road for about a k..

Lessons learned:

- Telephone advice means nothing..
- A Jabiru 160 will fit between the roadsigns at Erldunda with 45cm of clearance from each wing.
- Be prepared to pay a beer tax to the local policeman at the end of the day.
- Never do it in peak tourist season.. Just How many busloads of japanese tourists can find it interesting when you fill the plane up at the PULP pump.

Above all the SIX P's.. Always try and find a better alternative in the preflight planning.