PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Another war in the Falklands?
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2002, 23:07
WeekendFlyer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool

If I can return to the original subject, just for a minute

The argies would find it much harder to attack the Falklands as sucessfully as they did before due to the following:

1. We now have a reasonable level of defence capability, namely three AD radars with an integrated C2 system, rapier sites around the airfield, resident infatry batallion, large quantities of military hardware & ammo in storage, a small det of F3s and a Falklands guardship, usually a Type 42 with a reasonable air defence capability if I remember corrrectly. The only really serious capability gaps as I see them are in naval anti-surface warfare and limited air defence capability (the F3s) against a massed air attack.

2. Notwithstanding the above, the argies are hardly in a position to attack the FIs again, as their military equipment has not really improved much since 1982 and their economy has gone down the plughole big style. I don't think they could afford to attack, economically or politically. The people at home in Argentina just would not support it.

3. If the Argies did manage to defeat the defences in place at MPA they would still have to maintain air superiority, which would not be easy from mainland Argentina. We have a better amphibious and Naval capability than in 1982 and, provided we secured the airfield and the airspace around it, we could fly in reinforcements very quickly, thanks to our nice new shiny C17s and our old but still useful Tristars and VC10s.

4. The RN learnt a lot of lessons from the Falklands war and the fleet is significantly better protected against air attack now than it was then. If you can maintain local air superiority around your fleet and amphibious operations then things are easier!

So, on balance, we would probably win, just like last time. Not that there is much likelihood of there being a next time anyway.

Hope this helps!