PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Cathay Pacific Cadet Pilot Programme
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2011, 23:15
Mr Fusion

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Final Interview Gouge

Attended one in HK a couple weeks back (never had an initial interview) and was turned down. Since feedback is a courtesy they won't extend, I'll draw my own conclusions, (IMO I played their game well.) PM me if you want details on the interview.

My background:
- USA Regional FO
- 3,000 Total Hours (2,500 in the CRJ7)
- Nuclear Engineering major (probably a dead give-away as to who I am )

Our group talked at length about the housing allowance issue, as a couple of the guys had been offered a job in 2007 so they knew the differences. For me, it was just another example of how my services are worth less than the generation before me: Shareholders demand continually increasing profit margins, so the front-line workers get squeezed more and more. (Fortunately Cathay hasn't had to resort to Plan B: Business goes bad and shareholders want a quick buck, so management sells off all valuable assets, layoffs are plentiful, and the CEO takes a golden parachute as the company goes belly-up.)

Thank you Capitalism. :middlefinger:

(Where's the middle finger emoticon?)

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyways, here's my take on the job offer:

- The negative comments related to this job are (understandably) posted by people who have a better job now, whether it be with Cathay or someone else. Good for them. But keep in mind you don't have their job: Criticism is easy to dish out when everything's good with numero uno.

- Do some research yourself on what HK$10,000 per month will get you in Hong Kong. Prices vary by location. Keep in mind though websites do a great job of making slums look attractive, and that real estate companies cheat on measuring square footage (i.e. including exterior walls, balconies, etc.) Floor plans also tend to maximize the amount of useless space available.

- Second officer is not a flying position. It's like an internship in a law office: Pay your dues and someday you may get to do the job you signed up for. If you're looking for respect out of your job, ("respect"... HA! Didn't that die out with Polio..?) or if you derive some sort of sick pleasure out of flying airplanes, (It's a job, not a way of life. I almost laughed at the final interview when the HR rep said "okay, so let's say you take the job, and yeah it'll be fun and exciting for the first year or two..." FIRST YEAR OR TWO?!? Try the first half-hour into my first ID..) this job may not be for you.

- This isn't a "stepping stone" job. If you want to fly somewhere else someday, skip the middle man.

- Last but IMO the most important factor: Family. Got a girlfriend/boyfriend? Plan on a quick marriage or separation, because Hong Kong won't sponsor the unmarried woman/man you're currently sleeping with. Want to start a family? Make sure they fit in your home: Literally. Want them to attend school in Hong Kong? Cathay will foot 90% of the tuition, but keep in mind there aren't enough English schools in the territory to keep up with demand, and waiting lists are hundreds long. Want your kids to grow up without pollution-induced asthma? Make sure you've got room in the budget for good air filters in your home. I wouldn't take them outside for long periods of time either (but that's just me.)

So there it is. If you pass the interview, and none of the above applies to you, take the job. If the low housing allowance is the ONLY factor in your decision, take the job. If (for some reason) they actually raise it again, and you don't get that raise, and there's better opportunities out there, tell them to f*** themselves and find a new job.