PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems on solo x country
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2011, 19:43
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The only real choice you had was whether to land back where you'd just taken off or whether to return to your home base. Returning to the home base seems to me to be the safer choice, as you're more familiar with how it should look and feel in the circuit at the right speeds - the cruise itself with no ASI is a complete non-event as you discovered, simply set the right RPM and there you are.
I agree that this is really the only decision you made that you could argue about. Personally I'd return to the airfield I just took off from, IF that airfield had a long enough runway (as said, you will want to come in a bit fast and bleed off the speed above the runway - and you need space for that) and IF my home base was a serious x-country away.

After all, "it's better to be on the ground wishing you were up there, than being up there wishing you were on the ground".

But if you know that the runway at home base is long enough, you are more familiar with the circuit over there (and maybe with the ingrained power settings vs. your circuit location), you know that that's where maintenance is located and the route to get there is not too taxing (no seriously timed legs or something, but easy nav all the way) it's a no-brainer really.

And yes, after an event like this, talk it over. With your instructor, with a few anonymous blokes on PPRuNe, with your mates at the bar, whatever. It's a good learning experience.