PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is stall practice in a non spin certified aircraft?
Old 30th Apr 2011, 17:20
moreflaps

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Take spin training, which should include the appropriate, co-ordinated use of ailerons during recovery."

With respect, I think the physics of the spin suggest otherwise. The spin is due to coupled roll/yaw and is maintained by this couple -coordination of controls at that point are moot. It is a stable state that demonstrably does not respond to aileron control inputs (unless it flattens to the point where rudder is less effective than aileron due to rudder stall/blanketing in which case either pro- or anti-spin may work and you may not know which will reduce the AOA on the more deeply stalled wing which is needed to weaken the roll/spin couple). If there were to be a general method, rather than that stated in the POH, I believe the key is to break the powerful yaw component with neutral aileron (the PARE method not MB). When the yaw stops in PARE the plane is in co-ordinated flight and the rudder used by the pilot to only to stop further yaw i.e. the controls _are_ then automatically co-ordinated because the aileron is already neutral! In PARE the elevator then fixes the stalled wing and the pilot recovers the dive. I think it interesting that if a little excess rudder still exists, it actually helps unstall the more deeply stalled wing (which is good) and is not what coordinated aileron would do. For most pilots, talk of coordinated aileron implies putting aileron and rudder in the same direction which is certainly not what should be advocated for a spin recovery technique IMHO. The PARe method s simple and does not require the pilot to think about establishing coordinated flight which could be hard when disorientation may also be present. If any general technique is to be advocated then the KISS principle is essential and talk about "appropriate" co-ordination is not going to help (the pilot is already sensory overloaded without having to interpret what might be appropriate).

Further, if the pilot has put in a coordinated rudder/aileron control input to stop yaw he worsens the stall on the already more deeply stalled wing which will oppose the rudder input and delay (or even prevent) recovery. I don't think that the idea of inducing opposite yaw by holding in opposite rudder was ever implied in any spin recovery technique, in all the texts I have seen they say when the yaw _stops_ recover by ... (a method that does not add yaw couples)

Cheers

Last edited by moreflaps; 30th Apr 2011 at 18:46.