PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Problems on solo x country
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2011, 16:10
billiboing

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Problems on solo x country

Am only early solo pilot, but was doing my solo x-c today. On climb out from the second airfield I lost the ASI and then proceeded to make a number of mistakes.

1) Whilst I did inform ATC they then asked if I wanted to declare an emergency. I thought about it and thought no, as everything else seemed to be ok.
I simply climbed above the airfield, tried alternative static, no change in ASI -reading 0.

2) I started thinking I had left the pitot tube cover on, but when I found that in the pocket I knew it wasnt that, and I couldnt remember putting it back on anyhow.

3) I then got me stop watch out, and flew back to my home airfield filling in my log carefully all the way and the achieved airspeeds seemed to work out right for the RPM set to achieved 90knots. ATC were happy to let me go on route. When I asked them what I should do they said " we will assist you with whatever you wish to do!".

4) When I got back home I did a careful circuit. My home airfield asked me if I had my ASI back- they had been told by my departing airfield. Concentrated hard and did a really good landing. Despite the presence of several big red fire engines. Think I disappointed them.

5) Asked my instructor if I did the right thing in coming home. He didnt answer but did sign off my QXC.

6) Only dawned on me that I had a GPS in my flightcase AFTER i landed.

Wondered what you guys think would have been best thing to do.

PS Am told the ASI stopped working cos of a load of bugs up the pitot head.