PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - The Rotary Nostalgia Thread
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2011, 15:34
500 Fan

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Irish S-61Ns.

I am only guessing, but I would say the Greenlandair machine was only leased by Irish Helicopters and retained it's original markings and registration. IHL have in the past leased S-61Ns from KLM (briefly for the Papal Visit in 1979) and Schreiner and both helicopters carried IHL titles but I have never seen a photo of a Greenlandair-schemed S-61N with Irish Helicopter titles. That's not to say it didn't carry them, though.

As for the titles along the upper rear fuselage on EI-BLY, the lettering reads "Roinn Na Mara". Roinn Na Mara is Irish for "The Department of the Marine". I believe the titles refer to the period when EI-BLY served as the interim SAR bird while EI-BHO was being converted into a full-spec SAR helicopter for the then new commercial SAR contract in Ireland. As far as I know, BLY was just fitted with a winch and sea tray for this role while BHO was being converted. BLY had "MARINE RESCUE" titles under the nose, but no "RESCUE" markings on the fuselage sides! Even when EI-BHO arrived after conversion, it lacked "RESCUE" markings on the fuselage sides, although this situation was soon rectified.

I believe a pilot for BLY at that time is a PPRuNer and might be able to add more. EI-BLY must sport one of the the most attractive paint schemes ever to adorn this great helicopter.

500 Fan.