PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - AF 447 Search to resume (part2)
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2011, 15:30
Centrosphere

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
infrequentflyer789,

Good takes. Letīs see:

Remember, this is a photo of another photo (or maybe even just a screencap from video stream) on a monitor, with all the losses that entails, before we even get to compression
I do agree. Nevertheless, I never saw a "loss mode" like that. Degradation from copy should be evenly displayed all around the photo, not localized in a spot.

If bandwidth and storage are infinite, then you'd never use lossy compression They aren't, and trade-offs are made.
The same objection holds. Besides, you donīt need "infinite" storage, only the storage needed to store the output of the sub cameras. And since the data can be transmited (after all, we are seeing the images), the storage on board is practically infinite.

The high-res images are probably still on the boat (why waste sat bandwidth sending hi-res back to land - the search professionals are on the boat)
Not a reasonable assumption because: a) I canīt believe bandwith is a problem to an Alcatel owned ship; b) sat bandwith is not that expensive comparing with all the past, present and future costs of this operation; c) top level brass at BEA probably wants all the information management right under their wings.