PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - A320 Speed tape on PFD
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2002, 19:46
nightbird

Lightbulb Trend Vector would show which way to push thrust levers!

Hey Ignition Override
i think the A320 speed tape has just been blindly following the industry trend so far.
i just saw a couple of illustrations in the book "Human Factors" by Capt Hawkins, and they also depict the higher speeds on top of the tape.
Its just that in older aircraft types,this does not appear to have had any serious adverse consequences.
Probably because of the fact that the thrust management was still done pretty much "hands on".
On the A320,the auto-thrust system is virtually "Hands-Off".
Essentially Pilots practice just one simulator exercise every 6 months of actual "hands on" speed management.
The MEL(Minimum Equip List) does not permit despatch with Auto thrust Unservisable.
Also level of change in engine noise during approach power settings is not very perceptable from the cockpit.
All these factors can lead to a situation where pilot awareness of actual "aircraft energy level" can be degraded.
Atleast 2 accidents on the A320/A330 can be attributed to lack of awareness of a/c energy level(low energy warning is now being incorporated)
The A320 has very comprehensive "flight envelope protection"
but she is not immune from being flown into terrain(CFIT).
What concerns me is that, in the case of GF072 was the A/C unwittingly pointed into the sea as a result of "Information Overload" Originating from the Aural CRC Warning and the red Overspeed Barber pole Coming down from the top.
As the report says this rather low priority overspeed situation occupied the Flt. crews attention,to the exclusion of the bigger threat posed by their proximity to terrain.
the investigation even examined the posibility of inadvertent forward push on sidestick while trying to reach for the "emergency cancel" on the central panel,and ruled it out.
i thing the investigation is trying to avoid opening "a can of worms" by not going into the possible role played by design deficiencies.
But as Capt Hawkins says Human errors can be located anywhere in the chain streching from the "operator" right back to the "designer".

By-the-Way if the Speed tape were inverted,the Trend Vectors(or Arrows as they are also called) would reflect the correct direction in which to move the Thrust Levers!
So in case of flap overspeed not only would the Red Barberpole coming up from the bottom urge a "natural" stick back reaction, but also a downward trend vector would ask for a Thrust lever back response!