PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Damaged Baggage
Thread: Damaged Baggage
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2011, 07:14
Tony_SLF

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
The good and the bad

That you get what you pay for is very true. But to be fair, it doesn't happen that often now.

BA have twice ripped my bags apart. Once on a scheduled flight where they took me to the back room and I was encouraged to choose a better model than the one the airport ground staff wrecked

The second was on a holiday charter to Chamberry ex BHX that happened to be a BA plane. The BA team were quite normal (ie snotty) at first moving onto unhelpful and rude when I didn't acccept their judgement that a charter isn't a BA flight. They ganged up and tried to bluff it out. Voices rose. Other passengers looked on in amusement. Then one kindly BA soul asked if I was an Executive club member. Yes, Silver, I replied (actually Blue but if you give *hit out, you need to expect a little in return) . And to paraphrase Not The Nine O'clock News, a would you like to rub my *its moment ensued.

Malev, on a pre AF KLM code share, ripped the handle off a 20 year old Samsonite and I got sent to the Samsonite shop in Buda with a voucher. That resulted in my first 4 wheeler and I am a total convert to them when not using bulk bags. I suspect KLM/Malev are no longer so generous.

Virgin ripped apart a manky old Ski Swiss bulk bag once and I got the back room treatment. The replacement bag was vastly better and is just ending a tough 15 year holiday travel life.

Rule 1. Don't put luggage in the hold if you can possible avoid it. True, that's v difficult with an attitude towards making money like Flybe's.

Rule 2. It doesn't matter what time of day or night. Insepct the bags as they come off the track.

Rule 3. Be polite about problems and don't back down.

Advert; use Rimowa bags. Expensive but good.