PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - BNE ATC Holding
Thread: BNE ATC Holding
View Single Post
Old 30th Apr 2011, 06:42
haughtney1

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
P-D, I have no doubt you are accurate in what you say, but where does the 45 mins come from if the numbers you speak of ring true?
Is 45 min a usual figure? or is it exceptional based on an exceptional set of circumstances? just wondering.
With respect to the movement rate, the a/c mix at BNE and LGW is broadly similar, mostly medium jets with a heavy or 3 thrown into the mix...and of course those pesky TP's floating about as well.
FWIW, my experience of Vegas app and twr has been pretty good, and as our usual arrival times are mostly outside peak times..we never usually have any bother.
At LGW (as a comparison) its pretty much always peak time...and yet with a similar runway, less airspace, and certainly a far greater volume of traffic, the worst holding delay in wx above CAT1 was in the region of 20 mins. So with that in mind, where is the difference? is it procedural? is it a systemic difference? is it a competancy issue? (both pilots and controllers?) Or is it perhaps more a cultural or corporate reluctance to deal with these peak traffic periods as effectively as possible?
I know Oz has some unusual procedural stuff (as does the UK, USA, and everywhere else!) so does this contribute into the mix?
Interesting stuff...and I'm interested in the answers, cos we all learn from this.