PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Sudden fear of heights/claustophobia
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2011, 19:46
Loose rivets
Psychophysiological entity

Location: Tweet Rob_Benham Famous author. Well, slightly famous.
Received 37 Likes on 18 Posts
The first thing to get straight is that it's NOT an irrational fear. You probably are however, over analyzing the situation.

I was safety pilot in a pal's C310, and I flew into cloud. He suddenly shouted Down! Grabbed the controls and got himself into clear air. He went on to a CPL IR etc for private use and flew for the next 35 years.

You know inside that your life depends on a few gyros. Perhaps even just one. It's a nutty situation to be in. A mile above the ground with a tiny wheel keeping you from spinning out of the cloud. People who don't have a spell of questioning this state are perhaps lacking in other ways. However, when all is said and done, you'll have to master these feelings.

I had to give myself a good talking to after several nights of bad storms. No radar at 18k and getting thrashed night after night. After one really bad one, I almost gave up. That's when I had to make a decision that whenever things got crappy, I'd grab the bull by the horns and master it. No time for analysis, and not time for fear. There's a job to do and others will be relying on you...that kind of talking to.

I was a training FO for a year or so, and sat with a succession of new captains most first time on jet transport aircraft. Most were fine, but there were a few who really lost it for a few minutes here and there. They all but one went on to long careers.