PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How many Flight Instructors are afraid of tailwheel airplanes?
Old 24th Sep 2002, 16:23
FlyingForFun

Why do it if it's not fun?

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Chuck,

How many drivers, even just recreational drivers, still know how to double-de-clutch? In the US, many drivers don't even know how to use a "stick-shift", let alone double-de-clutch!

It seems like exactly the same thing to me. The technique is no longer taught because modern equipment has improved to the extent that it itsn't required.

That doesn't mean there isn't a place for it. Anyone who owns a car without synchromesh will learn to double-de-clutch pretty quickly. And anyone who flies tail-draggers will learn quickly too.

And the reason for wanting to drive old cars, or fly tail-draggers? Well, it might be less practical, but it's a whole load more fun!!! Personally, I learnt to fly tail-draggers because it seemed like all the interesting aircraft are tail-draggers, and I haven't been disappointed. I also drive an old car because it's more interesting than the modern crap which car factories churn out, although my car isn't quite so old as to have required me to learn to double-de-clutch.

There are two major differences, though. First of all, learning to fly tail-draggers will improve your flying in tricycles, because it teaches you to use the rudder and pay attention to the wind. I can't think of a single benefit of double-de-clutching when driving a modern car, which has synchromesh on all forward gears. And secondly, the gradually decreasing number of tail-dragger pilots means there are fewer instructors to pass the skill on to us new guys. This isn't an issue with double-de-clutching, because it's something which drivers can safely teach themselves if required - the same can't be said of flying tail-draggers.

FFF
---------------