PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is stall practice in a non spin certified aircraft?
Old 29th Apr 2011, 09:22
FlyingStone

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I think that every certified single-engine aircraft (at least according to EASA CS-23 and CS-VLA) must be able to recover from one-turn spin or a three-second spin, whichever it takes longer plus there are several requirements that spin characteristics shouldn't require above an average handling abilities, ... Everyone interested in details can read about the requirements in CS-23.221 CS-VLA 221. Provided this isn't satisfied, the aircraft has to be redesigned or fitted with balistic recovery system (Cirrus for example). So basically, every certified aircraft (except few aircraft which have BRS fitted insted) are able to recover from a single-turn spin, which would be result of a poorly executed stall.

As said before by Fuji and others, you should get a proper aircraft and an instructor, who is comfortable doing spins (many aren't) and try a few spins. I'm sure the first spin entry and recovery will probably be demonstrated by an instructor, and you will fell somewhat confused during the entry, since you aren't used to that kind of unusual attitudes and you most likely haven't done much handling at speeds which aircraft achieves during the recovery.

I agree with Pace, spin training should be included in PPL training. But don't get me wrong, I'm not saying one should be proficient in spin in order to show off in front of his buddies, girls, etc, but to be able to recognize and recover from one of the most deadliest types of accidents in GA: stall/spin on takeoff. Since most of the described accidents happen on takeoff/landing and I believe there is no way one could make proper recovery from a spin at 1000ft AGL, if he/she never done it before (reading on the subject helps, but there is no real substitute for actual flight training - otherwise the requirements for obtaining PPL would be: read 10.000 pages about flying and do the skill test), much less at 200-300ft where the stall/spin usually happens.

I see two main problems in spin training. First one is the lack of instructors, being able or comfortable to show proper spin entry and recovery, since most of them did the minimum spin training required for the issue of FI rating and off they went, probably not doing another spin ever again. The second issue is probably more serious: more and more new two-seat primary trainers are certified according to CS-VLA, which doesn't allow intentional spins (regardless of any flight testing that was done on that matter), unless you get an exception from EASA (which I believe takes a long time and a lot of money).