PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Snoopy - Flying inside a stadium
View Single Post
Old 17th Apr 2011, 16:54
RVDT

Location: After all, what’s more important than proving to someone on the internet that they’re wrong? - Manson
Received 56 Likes on 37 Posts
Capt Hollywood
You've got to see this....
Sydney Royal Easter Show 1990

I did! And I thought I could kind of fly a helicopter at the time having about 4000 hours in them. Pretty humbling.

I remember the tail rotor just touching the ground a couple of times and picking up dirt.

In about 1996 we used to drop skydivers in there from about 4K at night. One in an Elvis outfit, one guy with a dog and a large flag advertising dog food (PAL), and other outfits. Used to sit up at about 4K waiting for the off and as I was not privy to the radio comms for the timing which was critical you might be sitting there talking to the guys and then all of a sudden you were on your own! In those years there was a cable strung across the arena at about 100'. The guys under canopy would sometimes bug out if they couldn't get the right approach due to the wind and ended up in the car park or the suburbs rather than in the cable in front of a load of people. Large cojones or mad, it was difficult to tell. These guys also did a lot of illegal BASE jumping in the city but thats another story!