PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Please Rally Round for WW2 Veterans
View Single Post
Old 29th Apr 2011, 08:28
ianburnstock

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ian Burnstock

In view of the various comments which have been appearing on this forum concerning the coming Project Propeller event scheduled for Saturday June 11th at Wickenby, I feel that it is time to put the record straight on certain of the points raised by contributors.

1: Landing Fees.
Prior to each PP event a meeting with the management of the chosen airfield venue takes place. Every aspect of the event is discussed including possible fees as a contribution to the airfield’s administration. Here it should be pointed out that we have on occasions, at previous PP gatherings, been required to pay a fee to the concerned venue – not necessarily a ‘landing’ fee, but, nevertheless, a fee. In this instance, the subject of landing fees was raised during our initial discussion with the airfield owner who offered to reduce the standard £10 charge to £5. Subsequently, to simplify administration, a flat fee of £400 to cover all landing fees was agreed, and as a further concession a reduction has been offered based on any fuel sold to participants.

2: Runway Condition.
The Wickenby Management is aware that the runway condition is far from perfect and is due to be re-surfaced as soon as the budget allows. However, in the interim the runway is inspected on a daily basis and swept regularly to ensure it is kept to the standard required for a licensed aerodrome by the CAA. Further annual work is scheduled shortly and I am assured that on the ‘Great Day’ both the runway and taxiway will be in a more than adequate condition to receive 100-plus aircraft.

3: Other Matters.
I’ve mentioned this before and am happy to say it again, the Wickenby Management has, from our initial approach been tremendously helpful and welcoming to the concept of hosting Project Propeller, the owner even volunteering to act as ‘ferry pilot’ for some of our guests. He has also offered to put on flying displays as part of the day’s entertainment. Wickenby Airfield shows every promise of being a first rate venue for this, the thirteenth birthday of Project Propeller – we, the small PP organising group and Wickenby Airfield Management, very much look forward to seeing you all on the June 11th.

Ian Burnstock, for the PP team.
(ps, if anybody wants to give me a call – 020 7262 4709)