PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - How safe is stall practice in a non spin certified aircraft?
Old 29th Apr 2011, 07:51
BackPacker

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I'm working on the same assumption. Pre-PPL, possibly pre-solo student.

I agree with what's been said. Get your instructor to demonstrate you a fully developed spin. The Robin 2120 is one of the few training aircraft that's cleared for intentional spins (well, at least the R2160 is, so I would assume the 2120 is too - but check the POH to make sure!). It's a great experience and one that can take the fear out of stalling. Whether that's a good point or not, I don't know though.

But I'd like to add another important point:

As you know, we practice a fair amount of stall recovery
[...]
In a recent flight lesson in a Robin 2120 practising stalls,
At your stage of training you are not practicing stalls. You are practicing incipient stall recognition and recovery. Your instructor demonstrates that, and ingrains that in you by doing full stalls, but being able to do full stalls is NOT the objective here. Being able to recognise the signs of a stall, and to do something about it is.

A full stall is a flight situation that you have to avoid at all costs, and at all altitudes, unless you are a test pilot or an aerobatics pilot (with the appropriate training, and in an appropriate aircraft). Because stalls can be dangerous even if they don't turn into a spin. Yes, your basic single engine straight wing trainer will probably have docile stall characteristics but there's no guarantee that the aircraft you will fly in the future will behave the same. Especially if they have multiple, underslung jet engines, swept wings, T-tails and whatnot. (*)

So what you should focus on is to recognise the signs of an impending stall (sloppy controls, stall warner, buffetting are the usual three, and in a S&L 1G stall you can also add low power and high pitch) and learn the correct recovery technique. Especially once you get to the solo stage. If you keep this in mind, and keep the ball in the middle during any stall recognition practice, you should not need to worry about spinning.

(*) Notice point (b)(2) in Pilot DARs post. Aircraft with a stick pusher don't have to get into a full stall in order to certify. They just have to be recoverable from the point where the stick pusher activates. And that may be several degrees AoA short of the point where the aerodynamic stall happens. Because in those types a stall will, in all likelihood, be unrecoverable within a reasonable height or without overstressing the aircraft.