PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Qantas and Its Appalling Brand Management
Old 28th Apr 2011, 17:44
Sunfish

Received 90 Likes on 33 Posts
Oicur:

Could you imagine a QF skipper helping load bags while the FO greets and seats pax?
Mate, it's about empowerment if you have ever flown Southwest and watched them work you will understand this. Qantas staff had it once, but their authority and sense of ownership of their job has been progressively eroded by years of rotten management. They need to be given it back.

When you see a Five foot tall Southwest check in chick pull her gloves on and go out and struggle to plug in external power on an arriving 737 you immediately understand that you are watching a team. There are no demarcation disputes, it's their aircraft, airport and passengers. There are no excuses, they know that it is up to them to deliver a good customer experience, not some disembodied manager somewhere.

To put it another way they are not just "doing my job" like so many other workers.

Qantas had that same spirit in the 1970's and at least half the 1980's. I have never been prouder than watching a QF cabin crew at LHR around 1975 dealing with a highly apprehensive family of migrating Poms. Mum, Dad and Two little kids. Even before we were airborne the Cabin crew had sussed them out and were regaling them with advice, ideas and feeding the kids ("Orange juice - that's liquid Australian sunshine") it was a treat just to watch.

I don't think the disempowered lot we have today would even be permitted to take the time to pull something like that off.