PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - Radio nerves
Thread: Radio nerves
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2002, 13:27
Mister Geezer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up

What I am about to suggest might sound a bit 'geeky' but I recommend getting your hands on a scanner. Like many other things, the more R/T you do then the better you become. Borrow one or buy one and listen to it and think of the responses that you would give whenever you hear ATC speaking. Or simply listening to the R/T will make a difference! Initially you might think it is a waste of time but I would be very surprised if you are not more confident on the frequency after listening for a while.

It made my flying so much easier from day one and I never had a problem with my R/T during the whole of my PPL and Commercial training as well.

A visit to your local 'tower' can also be a great help. However this can be often easier said than done. Finally ATC are there to help you. Think of them as your 'servants' and not 'super human gods' which is view that can freak out many people who are getting their PPL. By definition that is what they are.... people who are paid to help you! A simple 'say again' is not the crime of the year.... you will find out that it is safer to know what ATC are wanting you to do from the outset because too many fatal accidents have occurred due to people who assume or convince themselves that they heard what they want to hear on the R/T. We are all human and good ATCers will give solo's a bit of leeway providing they know that it is a solo!

Keep that chin up!

MG