PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - EK A380 crews need not fear Indian turnarounds!
Old 28th Apr 2011, 12:59
pool

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I know its apples compared to Granny Smith, but hey, its fun to compare, isn't it?

Sure enough the 380 product is better. But you can add a shower, a bar and insulate a T7 to match the 380 - and it will guzzle as much fuel with the same comfort.

Then for the more math prone: If you take the JFK numbers and compare 2 380 flights with 3 T7 flights .... the two 380s burn 352t, the three T7 only 333t, BUT they would haul 100 people plus 18t freight more. How about that?

But basically such comparisons are bs, in the end it's the doe that counts.
I agree that management might not be stupid and are on top of the numbers.
This said I will wait for the comments of all the fervent defenders of the 380 when the company will start lamenting about the rising fuel cost (which bird swallows more???) and use this to make us work even harder and pay us even less.

To me economy on fuel (ratio of the stuff used vs. payload) will become the major issue when it rockets up more than 150$ a barrel. Notwithstanding the environmental issue.
The 380 may have set new comfort standards, but in terms of burn it is a step backwards.
As mentioned, if they can increase the TOW by 21 tons, it will start looking slightly more logical.