PPRuNe Forums - View Single Post - CitiExpress Base at Gatwick
View Single Post
Old 24th Sep 2002, 12:29
citrus200

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
swede-basher

Comments regarding CM were not meant too be personal - I understand the difficulties he`s facing cant be an easy job! however some of the decisions that have been made seem more to be reactive than proactive - surely with the experience of some of the management at LGW these problems could have been forseen and avoided; I understand that there probably trying to enforce policies that have been pressed on them by those in waterside, however there does seem to have been some almighty screw ups!

Its extremely frustrating when you can see how these problems are going to arise, from working on the front line day to day - you then express your concerns to those in the decision making process and yet nother seems to be done - result months down the line said problem arises and a half baked and shortsighted attempt to solve them is implemented.

I understand that this is mainly due to the management structure of BA - however when your doing your best to make sure that your flights get away on time, you tend too come up against a brick wall when trying to resolve certain problems!

e.g - flight delayed by approx 4 hours due slot ( bad wx at dest) after 2 hours decide to bus pax back to terminal ( as no air con, toilet facilities e.t.c) get told by certain groups that this cannot be authorised as meetings at LHR are trying too decide what is best! when the acft commander on the ground fully appreciated the situation and came up with a soloution! Pax transport requested and was told that it would arrive asap - 50 mins later after a host of delaying tactics transport arrives and crew are told its not worth taking pax off!

How on earth can we provide a service that is deemed acceptable by the pax when those in the company are preventing you from doing your job and making the decisions which we should be entrusted with! Majority of crews have years of experience and have seen the situation before so surely we are the best too make an immediate, educated decision on how to rectify the prob!

This is one of the reasons why morale is so low!

I know BA pilots get a lot of stick from certain groups using this forum, I think this is totally unjustified - we all do the same jobs and encounter the same problems each day!!!! people say that mainline crews are overpaid and inefficient, this is just not the case - the crews are very efficient, it is just the resources and restrictions placed on us by up high that makes the public and those outside the airline percieve us to be so!

I agree with you swede - if the share price drops any lower maybe we will get what we desperately need - a complete clearout of the current management! perhaps then we can get on with the task in hand, be it mainline/ex cfe/brymon, and fly pax from A to B with a standard of punctuality and service that will make them want to fly with us again!

surely that can only be in the best interests of everyone!